Friday, February 6, 2015

All Around the World, Mostly…

I joined the Navy when I was 18 and over the next four years got to see more of the world then I really ever wanted. Call me short-sighted, call me narrow-minded, call me non adventurous, call me a homebody… but I just don’t like traveling. At least, not anymore.


You see, in that four years I got to see Portugal, Spain, Palma de Mallorca, Italy, Sardinia, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Djibouti, Israel, Turkey, Greece, the Sinai Peninsula, Kuwait, Iraq, The Suez Canal, most of the Caribbean, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Panama, the Panama Canal, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and I’m pretty sure I left off a few places…


I even got to see a few cities in the U.S. in that time frame too.


I’ve seen some of the most beautiful water you could ever imagine, sailed in some of the worst seas that I hope never to revisit, did some of the craziest (stupid) things I still can’t quite believe I did, and saw things that will be with me for the rest of my life.


But for all the photos I have, and for all the fun that I enjoyed, for all the memories that were made…nothing was ever like home. Watching our home port grow larger as we pulled in from being underway, manning the rail and scanning the crowd for my family, rushing into the arms of my wife (ok, she rushed, I was military and manly and.. didn’t cry at all.. nope), feeling complete again and that somehow that moment made the last 6 months worth it.


Yeah… home.


I’d be ok if I never had to leave her again.


10644901_10154895127280608_5852540863588963807_n



In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “No, Thanks.”





No comments:

Post a Comment