Thursday, April 24, 2014

Count Your Blessings, Day 12

Bell and Bear




Isabel and Elsie. Bell and Bear. My nieces.

God help them.

Actually, they are pretty cool. (I think they get that from me, yeah, that's it.) But the reason I am thankful for them is that through out the last few years, well, I have had the privileged of watching them grow up. From Elsie's "I don't like you, you smelly." phase, to Isabel's telling awesome stories about what's going on in her day at school.

I don't get to see them every day, but there are afternoons where they show up after school to work. Sure, somedays they become the background noise (who am I kidding, like they could be background noise) to what I am doing. But then there are those days when they come over, give me a hug, and just start talking to me, telling me about whatever topic has fancied their interest today.

As I get older, it's easy to forget the simpleness of being a kid. Granted, to them, it's not so simple, but from the perspective that I have as an adult, I do long for the days, sometimes, of the only care in the world being whether or not I colored in the lines, or where the biggest drama I had was whether so-and-so liked me as a friend, or whether lunch was going to be something I actually liked eating.

So, for a few brief moments, every few days, I get that privilege, as I get to view the world through their eyes. Filled with wonder, excitement, expectation, hope, and awe. Oh, and the laughter. Let's not forget about the laughter. Again, something as an adult, I think I forget to experience enough of.

I am blessed to get to watch these two girls grow up, even if it's only in short snapshots. Although, I think snapshots works for me right now. I'm not so sure I could handle them all the time.

After all, they are Henrichs'.

No comments:

Post a Comment