Monday, March 31, 2014

Count Your Blessings, Day 4

Mike & Kelly Olive

Mike&Kelly (circa 2000-ish)

Ok, there is a real good possibility that I am going to get in trouble for this post. Mainly cause, well, this is an older photo of the two of them, and they might try to hunt me down for sharing it (again).

But, when I look back on my life and I see the 16 year old me, I see a kid that was lost, lonely, angry, bitter, on the verge of suicide, and so walled in by my own defenses that it took God sending these two people into my life to finally get through to me. I'm 43 now, married to a beautiful woman(Day 1), I have two kids of my own (see Day 3 for more on them) and I work in youth ministry, reaching out to kids that are more like me then I even care to admit. I truly believe, none of that would have happened if not for one weekend when I was invited to play volleyball at a youth group, and upon walking in, Mike stepped up, introduced himself, and just made me feel like I was the most important kid in the room. I'll never forget that night.

See, unbeknownst to Mike, he started something by reaching out to me that would become my mission and ministry in life. Over the next few months, Mike and Kelly took time out of their lives and just ministered to me how much God loved me and in that time I found a place that I belonged, I found a purpose in my life, I found hope. Most importantly, I found out who I am in Christ.

All because two people cared enough to invest in a 16 year old kid who could never repay them. 

Mike and Kelly... Olive you guys more then you could ever know. Thank you for allowing God to use you to change the life, future and eternity of one lost kid.

Mike&Kelly (circa 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment