Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Putting One in the “W” Column

There are days we all just need a win. One to put up in the “W” column, so that we feel like we have actually accomplished something. I tend to have a lot of days where that just doesn’t happen. I’m not sure if it’s because my “W” column is too difficult, I feel defeated most days, I focus too much on the negative, or if I just don’t have what a clearly defined definition for what a win is.


(Ok, I really hated typing that last one)


So, in an effort to define ‘winning’, here we go…


I think the prospect of winning is grand. I also think that the summation of our lives is the total aspect at which we should measure it. That being said, obviously, we can not truly know whether or not we arrived at it. The why is simple. We will be dead, and in that is it really our’s to figure out whether we are successful.


At that point, I think the default should be in the eyes of those closest to us: our spouse; our children; those we call family (even though technically they aren’t blood related). So I beg the question, why shouldn’t we put that definition into their hands now? Wouldn’t that relieve us of the fallibility of our own personal criticism? In essence, allowing us to live life the way it should be lived, for others.


I know, I know, for others?


That seems so…un-selfish…


It goes against everything that everyone has ever told you about winning. In order to win, you have to be the one in the spotlight, you have to be the one in the center, on the top, at the front. Have you ever noticed, those in the front, at the top, or in the spotlight, are the ones that everyone else is trying to take out in order to take over their spot. That doesn’t sound very fun to me. A dog eat dog world, indeed.


But what happens, if instead of trying to be the best, we helped out everyone else. Opened up literal and proverbial doors for those who can’t, giving up our moment in the spotlight to let someone else shine, or sharing ourselves to the betterment of others.


I can tell you what will happen. You will stop measuring success by your accomplishments and start leaving a legacy for those who come after you. No, there may never be a book about your life, you may not get that star on the walk of fame, and you may never be mentioned in the annals of time, but in reality, so few people do.


Nay I say to those trivial pursuits. Instead, you will be the man or woman who made a difference in the lives of people. Accolades be damned, let my praises be sung for a generation or two, spoken highly because of the impact on a life I made.


In the end, that is something we can all do.


Now that’s one for the “W” column.


pingback




http://psibrone.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/the_win_column/

No comments:

Post a Comment